So here is my finished Kalimba! only spent about an hour on it today – sanding down the sides and making it smooth. I also made the tines, of which I used some old sawing blades and just cut the blades off. They are really good for this kind of thing as they spring quite well. I also found some sawing wires that also make a nice sound when played.
You can get some really pure notes out of it when hitting the middle of the tine but when you uses it like thumb piano, you also get the lower tones underneath the tuned note that sound lovely. I’m quite pleased with the out come, I didn’t think that it would sound as good as it does for just a little wooden box and some scrap metal.